Thursday, March 17, 2011

Happy St. Patrick's Day

I love St. Patrick's Day!
It may be because my favorite color is green,
or because I like little green men & rainbows,
or maybe its the wee bit of Irish in me blood!

Last night Aaron and I were practicing our Irish accents.
He told me I sounded more Australian.
I don't think he knows what he's talkin' 'bout!
(and yah, I just said that in my amazing accent, could you tell?)

Needless to say, we ended up laughing so hard I almost peed my pants.

And for the record, my accent is MUCH better than Aaron's,
but he has much better bladder control than I do.
So I guess we're tied: 1-1.

After we were all asleep a leprechaun must have sneaked into the kitchen and turned our milk GREEN! He must have spilled his coins on the floor in his rush to get out!

How else do you explain this?


The kids got a break from uniforms again!
Here are the lasses and lad in their Irish getup before school:


And we mustn't forget the wee lasses!


Guess what! I decorated those shirts!
Cute, right?
They are way easier than you think!

Freezer Paper t-shirts!

1. Find the design you want and put it on paper.
I googled to find the perfect images and then tweaked them a wee bit in photoshop, and printed them. For more complex designs you'll have to print a few copies for each layer of paint.

2. Cut out the design on freezer paper.
Lay down cardboard to protect your counter and then the freezer paper (glossy side down) on top of that, and then the paper with the design on top of that. Tape it all in place and cut out with an exact-o knife. Words and more intricate designs can make it tricky so try to keep your designs simple. The part you cut out is the part that will be painted. You're making a stencil.

3. Iron on the freezer paper to your shirt.
Iron your shirt first so there are no wrinkles. Make sure your iron isn't on the steam setting. You want a dry iron. Place the freezer paper, glossy side down, and iron it to the t-shirt.

4. Paint!
This is the fun part. Paint with fabric paints using a foam brush. Make sure you paint by blotting up and down, instead of moving your brush across sideways. This prevents bleeding under the stencil.

5. Let it dry.
If you're in a hurry or as impatient as I am, you can use a blow-dryer to speed up the process. Once it's dry remove the freezer paper. If you have more layers repeat steps 2-5 until you're all done!

3 comments:

Mindi said...

Hey Maegan! (I love the spelling of your name!) Your blog is so cute! Extra cute because your family is just adorable! The shirts turned out awesome! I'm itching to make some now!

Dawn said...

Luv the shirts...you crafty girl!

Heidi Openshaw said...

Megan you are the cutest mom ever. I love reading your blog. You're always so happy and doing such wonderful things for and with your family.