Saturday, November 17, 2007

MOMMIES SHOULDN'T BE ON CRUTCHES!

You won't believe my luck! Friday morning I went for a run. About a half mile into it I came to some debris and rocks that were in my way. As I was maneuvering around it all I twisted my ankle and plunged to the ground. I knew right away that I was hurt. I kinda rolled around on my back for a few seconds saying, "ow, ow, ow". I thought I might be able to walk it off so I attempted to stand up and as I did I realized I couldn't put any weight on my right foot. I hopped to the curb and sat down. I could already feel my ankle swelling in my hand. I decided that I was going to have to flag a stranger down for a ride home, but as I looked up a lady drove up and rolled down her window offering me a ride home. She said she saw me try to walk and knew I was hurt. I just hope she didn't see my wipe out :-) So I accepted a ride from this kind woman (my kids are still shocked that I got in a car with a stranger). When I got home I hollered for Aaron. For some reason I had a little panic attack (not sure why) and I could hardly breath when I tried to tell Aaron what had happened. It felt like my trachea was the size of a straw. So weird. Any way, Aaron took my shoes and socks off and my right ankle was already the size of a grapefruit and purple! My other leg and knee were scraped up too. Of course it was too early in the morning to go to a doctor's office so I laid on the bed in the worst pain with a bag of ice on my ankle. Aaron showered and got the kids off to school...he almost forgot to pack their lunches but threw them together in the last second. So a few hours after the fact, we went to go see the doctor for some x-rays (hopping all the way). Luckily, I didn't break my ankle, but it's a bad sprain. The doctor said I probably tore a few tendons, just didn't tear them in two. I am now hobbling around on crutches, but Aaron and I were still able to go to dinner with a few other couples that same night. It helped to have 800mg of ibuprofen in my system :-) I am still thinking this is very unfair. Mommies aren't supposed to be on crutches!!! I can't drive and I won't be able to run again for over a month! That kinda sucks when you think that there's going to be a lot of yummy food around the next little while and I have no way of having aerobic exercise. Bring on the holiday pounds! And Christmas shopping...how am I going to do that? Sara has taken full advantage of my inability to carry her. Yesterday I hobbled down the hall with crutches into her room trying to get her to follow me. Then I stood by her changing table saying, "come here Sari". She poked her head into the doorway and said, "no" and took off back down the hallway. This went on for quite awhile until I found something she wanted and enticed her to come to me. Once she was in my reach I quickly grabbed her and lifted her onto the changing table. What a silly girl. The kids have loved being my "big helpers". When I make dinner I sit on a stool in front of the stove and ask them to bring me things and put things away as I just sit their adding ingredients and stirring. It works out well as long as they don't get tired of being my little gophers. Aaron has been trying to be mommy and daddy all at the same time. He went grocery shopping for me today... with coupons...and he had two kids with him too! It just about killed him. Thanks Hubby :-)

No comments: