Friday, August 14, 2009

Miso deprivided

A few years ago if you had asked me if I would ever eat sushi I would have told you an emphatic NO WAY! And that no meat was meant to be eaten raw. When we first moved to Boise, Aaron flew to Japan a few times a year for work. He always enjoyed eating sushi during his visits and I would scold him for eating something so VILE! But he loved the stuff. I'm not sure what switched in me, but when we first moved to Utah I found myself curious about those sushi rolls. They looked so pretty. Honestly, the presentation that goes into sushi is quite impressive. I think it's a whole different art form. The avocado and cucumber and other yummy veggies that were beautifully wrapped up in rice paper convinced me that it might be worth trying, despite the slugs of raw fish poking out of the center. I bravely tried a few rolls and actually liked it. In fact, I think I liked the wasabi/soy sauce that you dip the rolls in just as much. After a few times of eating sushi rolls in addition to my main entree, I started ordering ONLY sushi as my main dish with a side of miso soup. I loved the stuff! I craved the stuff! Aaron and I went out for sushi on date nights and completely pigged out! Yes, you CAN pig out on sushi! Now I am pregnant and any raw meat is forbidden! I felt so deprived...up until yesterday that is! Being very hormone-driven I was really craving sushi last night. I called up our local sushi restaurant and explained to the receptionist my incredible craving for sushi, but my dilemma of not being allowed to indulge. I asked her what was actually cooked and safe for me to eat. I ended up ordering three rolls and two bowls of miso soup (of course) and Aaron obediently picked it up on his way home from work. I enjoyed my not-so-raw sushi. (...can I still call it sushi?) It isn't the same when you bite into tempura shrimp (breaded and fried), but it still satisfied my craving...for now. I told Aaron he just might have to bring me some real sushi after I give birth in the hospital. Now I only can scold Aaron for eating sushi when he's eating it without me.

1 comment:

Dawn said...

Uhhhhh! I dont feel your pain!! I think it is alright but, I am not really into seafood! (:
Good to know Aaron is still willing to pick up some cooked sushi for ya!