Wednesday, November 4, 2009

The Great Pumpkin Mystery


We have had such a funny experience with our jack-o-lanterns which sit on the stairs of our porch. Late on Halloween night just before bed I noticed there were 5 pumpkins sitting outside instead of 6. I realized Sammy's pumpkin had gone AWOL, all except for his lid, which sat right where his pumpkin should have been. I couldn't see any smashed pumpkin remains in the street so I figured his pumpkin met that fate on some other street by some thrill-seeking teenagers. On Monday as I pulled into the driveway and the kids and I noticed there were 4 pumpkins sitting on our steps instead of 5! This time Aaron's pumpkin had gone missing. I actually didn't mind. It's easier for me to have them stolen than for me to haul them to the garbage can. The next day, Kaeli's pumpkin met a different fate than the first two. It was EATEN ALIVE!!! Half the pumpkin lay in the flower garden in front of the porch, the other half undoubtedly in the tummy of a deer. The next day I noticed the three remaining pumpkins had their teeth eaten out, but the rest of the pumpkins remained intact. And finally this morning, this mystery really had me baffled! The three remaining pumpkins had been turned to face the house!!! So the backs of the pumpkins faced the street. How funny is that! And how the heck...? Or should I say, WHO the heck is messin' with me??? Garbage day is Friday, so I intend to keep my pumpkins where they sit and see how this mystery unfolds. And when Friday morning rolls around I will toss any remaining pumpkins, or pumpkin pieces away. I'll keep you posted :-)


2 comments:

Dawn said...

Are you sure it is not Aaron?

maeg said...

I wish it were! Da hubbs is in Florida this week :-(