Monday, December 21, 2009

Nutcracker Ballet

Aaron and I went to Ballet West's Nutcracker performance on Friday night in SLC. I absolutely loved it! I saw the Nutcracker for the first time last year and now I'm hooked. It's going to have to be a yearly tradition from now on. This time while I watched I smiled to myself when it occurred to me how much I've felt like Mother Buffoon lately. I love how she comes out in her giant dress and all her little children pour out from underneath her skirt, dancing and flipping all around. And when it's time to go all of the children obediently run back underneath her skirt and Mother Buffoon dances off the stage. I imagine that Mother Buffoon has her hands full, but diligently keeps all her little buffoons in line. Sometimes I too feel like a miniature form of mother buffoon with children running and tumbling all around me. And here I am adding to my brood, another little buffoon on the way to dance and twirl around the house. And yet, just like Mother Buffoon, my hands are full despite the fact that my kids are obedient most of the time. Mother Buffoon dances around with an air of confidence about her, and perhaps a bit of pride in her children. I wonder if it's all an act. Maybe she falls apart at home and total chaos erupts! Either way, Mother Buffoon is a devoted mother, certainly has a sense of humor, and dances with her children! What could be more important than that!

No comments: